Second Operation of Facial Cleft Patient RS UNAIR Carried Out Succesfully

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Team of doctors and the mother of Tutik Handayani after the operation in Universitas Airlangga Hospital. (Photo: Dilan Salsabila)

UNAIR NEWS – Tutik Handayani’s condition after the second facial cleft operation is getting better. She could speak to media even though she was still a bit weak.

“My back hurts a bit,” said Tutik.

Thursday afternoon December 15, press conference on the successful operation was held attended by the team of doctors handling the operation and the Director of Universitas Airlangga Hospital Prof. Dr. Nasronudin, dr., Sp.PD-KPTI. Indri Lakshmi Putri, dr., Sp.BP-RE (KKF) as the plastic surgeon said that the operation ran well even though it was started late.

“It was supposed to be started at eight but it was started at ten as the series of anesthetic procedure took longer. So, the anesthesiologist prepared better access through bigger blood vessel rather than the hands’ to avoid bleeding,” said Doctor Putri.

In the second operation, the team extracted some of her excessive left facial bone. Then it was used to close the cleft on the right side of the face. It was also used to shape the frame for the eye which was too low.

Furthermore, the team of doctor also took some of her backbone to close the facial cleft. Four of her teeh had to be extracted as well as they were not used. “The result, her cheek which used to be flat now has already been repaired,” said the craniofacial consultant.

For the eyes, the team of doctor installed a conformer (artificial eyeball) to make it look normal. “For the left eye was a bit challenging as there were some parts needed improvements. First, the eyelid turned upside down, then the second was pulled down,” said Nurdin Zuhri, dr., Sp.M, one of the team members.

“What we did in the second operation was turning her eyelids, then we shaped the frame for the conformer. We took a graft from the inner lips for the eyelid to improve the anatomy,” said Doctor Nurdin.

Doctoor Putri also added, the operation lasted for eight hours and it was successful to achieve the target. The team did not meet any problems. “The next operation will be done after six months, but in three months there will be a CT-Scan for consolidation,” said Doctor Putri.

As planned, the third operation will be held six more months and while waiting, Tutik will go back to her home in Lumajang.

Author: Faridah Hari
Editor: Defrina Sukma S

Related News



Media komunikasi dan informasi seputar kampus Universitas Airlangga (Unair).

Leave Replay

Close Menu