UNAIR NEWS – East Java has made the highest achievements as the champion team with most medals in Archery of National Games (PON) XIX West Java. East Java got 6 gold, 4 silver and 4 bronze. Some of them members of Archery student club of Universitas Airlangga (UNAIR) contributed to the success.
They are Tiara Sakti Ramadhan (Faculty of Social and Political Sciences), Della Adisty Handayani (Faculty of Economics and Business), Irvaldi Ananda Putera (FISIP), Garrincha Didi Nugroho (Faculty of Science and Technology), Diananda Choirunisa (Faculty of Psychology ), Yoke Rizaldy Akbar (Faculty of Humanities), and Ashiefa Nur Haenza (Faculty of Law). The Archery events were held in Si Jalak Harupat Stadium, Soreang, Bandung Regency on Thursday, September 20.
To compete in PON XIX West Java, they had to focus in the intensive training camp and quarantine in athlete dormitory of East Java’s National Sports Committee (KONI) since January 2016. They were trained directly by Lilies Handayani, senior archer who was also Della’s mother.
“I was speechless and very grateful as I saw my parents’ joyful smiles. I know I haven’t been able to get gold but I have done my best,” said Tiara her its instagram account. Tiara got a silver in PON XIX West Java.
The athletes who are also the squad of UNAIR Archery have competed in some tournaments before as trial events such as 5th Surabaya Archery Open Tournament 2016, and 18th ASEAN University Games.
Some of the medals won by UNAIR Archery athletes for East Java:
- Irvaldi Ananda Putera, won a gold medal for men recurve team
- Della Adisty Handayani, won a bronze medal for women compound team
- Tiara Sakti Ramadhani, won two bronze medals, women compound team and women compound single
- Yoke Rizaldi Akbar, won a gold and a bronze medal for men compound team and men compound single
- Garincha Didi Nugroho, won a gold medal for men compound team
- Ashiefa Nur Haenza, won two silver medals for women national team and women national single.
Author: Faridah Hari
Editor: Defrina Sukma S